Persons working full-time or part-time as museum professionals, as defined in Article 2, § 2 of the Statutes;
Students preparing for a career as a museum professional;
Retired museum professionals;
In a limit of 10% of the National Committees’ workforce, other persons who, because of their experience or professional services they have rendered to ICOM for one of ICOM’s programs or for a National or International Committee, are deemed worthy of being a member of ICOM
Individual Member Categories
Regular – Active individual museum professionals.
Retired – Retired individual museum professionals.
Student – Students enrolled to university programs relevant to Museums; these students can be nominated into this category by a National Committee. These members do not have the right to vote within ICOM.
Associate – Individual members who wish to join ICOM and contribute to ICOM activities with a higher fee.
Contributing – Individual members who wish to join ICOM because of their interest in museums and international cooperation among museums and contribute to ICOM activities with a higher fee.
Aside from institutions designated as museums, the following institutions are qualified as museums eligible to seek membership to ICOM:
– Natural, archaeological and ethnographic monuments and sites and historical monuments and sites with museum-related activities including acquisition, conservation, and making material evidence of peoples and their environment;
– Institutions holding collections and displaying live specimens of plants and animals, such as botanical and zoological gardens, aquaria and vivaria;
– Science centres and planetaria;
– Non-profit art galleries as well as conservation institutes and exhibition galleries maintained by libraries and archive centres;
– Nature reserves;
– National, regional or local museum organisations as well as public agencies (ministries, departments or organisations) responsible for museums as defined in this Article;
– Non-profit institutions or organisations undertaking research in areas of conservation, education, training, documentation, as well as other activities relating to museums and museology;
– Cultural centres and other institutions that facilitate the preservation, perpetuation and management of tangible and intangible heritage resources including living heritage and the creation of digital artefacts.
Institutional members categories
Regular – A museum or institution complying with the definition of a museum, divided into six categories according to the level of their operating budget.
Note 1: ICOM takes into account all expenses of the institution except those relating to investment for the operating budget.
Note 2: Institutions connected to the budget of a community of a municipal building etc. must estimate the proportion of the budget that concerns museum activities.
Sustaining – Institutional members who wish to join ICOM and contribute to ICOM activities with a higher fee.
Contributing – Institutional members who wish to join ICOM because of their interest in museums and the international cooperation among museums and contribute to ICOM activities with a higher fee.
Supporting – Any institution that brings sufficient support to ICOM (financial or other) because of their interest in museums and the international cooperation among museums. These members do not have the right to vote within ICOM.